From the frozen north of Flagstaff, AZ — the Cyberpunk Librarian talks digital signage and setting it up at your library! Join Dan for a special episode of the show, recorded live during his talk at the 2015 Arizona Library Association Annual Conference!
Sometimes you need an eBook, article, musical track, movie, or something like that. Sometimes that thing isn’t available through the normal channels. You’ve tried, but you just can’t put your hands on it. The system is letting you down. Facing a time crunch, trying to help, you need to go outside and around the system. And for that, there’s the Cyberpunk Librarian.
- The Pirate Bay is the World’s Most Efficient Public Library by Zacqary Adam Xeper.
- The New Yankee Workshop with Norm Abram.
- Private Internet Access – My preferred VPN provider.
- ClamWin Portable – Portable virus scanner that lives on a USB drive.
- uBlock Origin for Firefox – Memory friendly ad blocking for Firefox.
- uBlock Origin for Chrome – Memory friendly ad blocking for Chrome.
- The Proxy Bay – Because sometimes The Pirate Bay moves around.
- Transmission – Transmission BitTorrent client. Cross platform and works everywhere.
- HexChat – Free, open source and cross platform IRC client that works on Windows, OS X, and Linux.
- LimeChat – Free, open source IRC client for OS X. Also available for iOS.
- mIRC – Non-free IRC client for Windows that’s been around for a long time.
- ManWithoutModem’s excellent post on how to find eBooks through various sources.
- Calibre – Sure, there are other software solutions for managing eBooks, but who cares? This is the real deal, free and open source, and 100% cross platform. You cannot beat the feature set and you cannot beat the plug-ins.
- DeDRM Tools – A Calibre plugin that strips DRM whenever you import an eBook.
- Google Scholar – If you’re looking for scholarly articles, try this first.
- Library Genesis Database – Feed your DOI to LibGen and see what happens.
- Oh, wait, what’s a DOI? – Wikipedia has a fantastic explanation.
- CrossRef.org – When you need a DOI, CrossRef has your back.
- r/Scholar – The Scholar subreddit, ask and you may receive.
- Leviathan by André Uhl
- Der Plug by D-Echo Project
- Folha Negra by D-Echo Project
- Funkind 2 by Vincenzo
- A track from Cannery Row, one of the most sorely underrated films of all time.
- Bellydance at Ebisu by Ryo Miyashima
Awww yiss, chummers! Cyberpunk Librarian is back from an unexpected hiatus with a new show about notebooks!
Wait, notebook computers?
No, paper notebooks! But there is a tech twist to my notational madness as we get into how to keep a notebook where you can actually find the information you wrote down, even if it’s months or years ago. Welcome back to Cyberpunk Librarian!
- Pen Addict
- Moleskine notebooks
- Picadilly notebooks
- Black n’ Red notebooks
- Field Notes
- Mead notebooks
- A little known hack from Japan to get your notebook organized
Music and Sounds
After an unexpected hiatus, the Cyberpunk Librarian is back with a show on Getting Things Done! Discover the tools, tips, and tricks for getting the job done and not working so hard to do it!
- Getting Things Done by David Allen – The book that started it all.
- How to be Productive and Get Things Done Using GTD by Ramesh Natarajan – An excellent overview without slogging through the book.
- Inbox Zero – Merlin Mann’s methodology for mail management.
- The Pomodoro Technique – Work a little less, do a little more.
- Productivity 101: A Primer to the Pomodoro Technique by Alan Henry – Read a little less, learn a little more.
- How I Work – A great series of articles about how people get things done.
- Interviews on Letters to a Young Librarian A growing series of posts about how librarians get things done!
- Outlook.com – One of the best mobile apps I’ve ever used for email. Works for Exchange, Gmail, Yahoo, IMAP, and more! Get it on iOS and Android
- Wunderlist – My go to for to do. Also available on iOS and Android.
- OneNote – Cross platform, use everywhere note taking. Get it on Windows or OS X or iOS or Android.
- Cortex – A entire podcast series about how YouTube video maker, podcaster, and GTD adherent CGP Grey gets things done.
- Hello Internet – A podcast featuring more about life and work from CGP Grey and Brady Haran.
- A Pomodoro timer for iOS or Android.
- And, you know, not meaning to brag or anything, but this stuff really works!
- Bellydance at Ebisu by Ryo Miyashita
- Ambient by Project Divinity
- Walking on the Seaside by Sunstroke
- lex g alex 3 by Lex g Alex