Join Daniel Messer as he goes cypherpunk and talks about keeping yourself secure and private online and in the digital world.
Notes and Links
Use a VPN.
- ChatSecure – Secure chat with Google and XMPP (Android and iOS)
- TextSecure – Secure SMS and MMS (Android only)
- RedPhone – Secure calling (Android only)
- Cryptocat – Secure group chat (iOS only)
- Wickr – Secure chat with optional time bomb to delete after given time (Android and iOS)
- Connec+ +or – Secure browsing for Android
- Red Onion – TOR for iOS
As an aside, Facetime and iMessage on iOS are end-to-end encrypted.
Leave No Trace
- TAILS – The Amnesiac Incognito Live System
- Used by Glenn Greenwald and Edward Snowden.
- Runs on a flash drive (I wear mine around my neck)
- Completely anonymous, as it goes around the computer’s hard drive.
- Uses TOR
- Encrypts your userspace
Or use a live distro of Linux without any persistent storage. You can set up a live USB of Ubuntu or many other distros of Linux. For instance, I also carry Kubuntu around my neck as a live stick.
Use Good Passwords
This is one of the most important things of all. If you’re using weak passwords, then you’re not securing anything at all. It’s the equivalent of leaving a key under your doormat.
- Lastpass – The browser plug in is the best, and it works everywhere since it’s just a browser plug in.
- KeePass – Stand alone, works everywhere
- Strong Password Generator
- Four Methods to Create a Secure Password You’ll Actually Remember (LifeHacker)
Things You Should Be Aware Of
If you’re using software to enhance or protect your privacy, chances are you’re going to be put on a watch list.
- NSA’s XKEYSCORE dissected: All Tor users marked as ‘extremists’ (Silicon Angle)
- XKeyscore exposed: How NSA tracks all German Tor users as ‘extremists’ (RT)
- If you read Boing Boing, the NSA considers you a target for deep surveillance (Boing Boing)
- NSA targets Linux Journal as ‘extremist forum’: Report (ZDNet)
- Use Tor or ‘EXTREMIST’ Tails Linux? Congrats, you’re on an NSA list (The Register)
- Use or Look at Online Privacy Tools? NSA Labels You an ‘Extremist’ (Daily Beast)
- How the NSA Targets Tor Users (Vice)
- NSA targets the privacy-conscious (DasErste)
- No Facebook, no iPhone, no problem: how I declared my digital independence (Dan Gilmore @ The Guardian)
- Information on Carnivore, an electronic communications and packet sniffer once used by the FBI and the IAO.
- Information on Magic Lantern, a keylogger used by the FBI.
This week’s music is brought to you by Tardiss and the Free Music Archive!
As always, the title track is Bellydance at Ebisu by Ryo Miyashita.