Join Dan for an episode full of tips, tricks, tools, and techniques for creating better graphic design! After all, you don’t want a dumb looking sign in your library! Put some thought into your design and it’ll show in the end result!
Books worth checking out
Websites worth clicking
- Have a look at some beautiful examples of De Stijl.
- Behance Graphic Design Portfolios are great places for some ideas and inspiration!
- Smashing Magazine goes in-depth about design tips and tools.
- Hack Design will teach you about graphic and web design via email!
- The Design Blog is another fantastic place for ideas.
- Identifont will help you discover great fonts and replacements for fonts you don’t have.
- Library Signage gives you the good, the bad, and the OMG of library sign design.
Software worth your while
- Office 365 Personal and/or Home editions will get you the latest versions of Microsoft Office direct from the source. Always updated and always available via the cloud.
- Scribus – The graphic design studio for the rest of us. Also available in a Portable Apps edition.
- LibreOffice – The FOSS solution for your office suite. Also available in a Portable Apps edition.
- Pixelmator – The best, most affordable image editor for OS X. Highly recommended.
- GIMP – Cross platform, free and open source image editing. Also available in a Portable Apps edition.
- PaintShop Pro – A sadly underused bit of kit that is just as useful as Photoshop for 90% of the population at a tiny fraction of the price!
Music and Audio
- Woman in Blue by Cafe Del Chillia
- Ivana Kupala Night by Crosswords
- Gravitational Slingshot by Daniel Messer. Download for free on SoundCloud or buy yourself a copy of The View From Amalthea which includes this song and a few others.
- Printer sound courtesy of FreeSound.org.